Sindh’s education secretary on Tuesday dismissed rumours claiming that the provincial government was mulling plans to extend school holidays across the province after nine more cases were reported in the province.

Earlier in the day, it had been reported that the provincial health department will send a recommendation to Chief Minister Sindh Murad Ali Shah for schools to remain shut for a longer period.

In a conversation with The News, Khalid Shah said the Sindh government was not considering any recommendations seeking an extension in the school holidays.

“All educational institutions in Sindh will re-open on March 16,” said Shah.

The decision was taken during a meeting of the health department held on Tuesday morning under the chair of the province’s health minister.

Over the course of the meeting, the setting up of a health desk at the airport was recommended.

With the help of the desk, all those entering Karachi through the airport will be screened for the coronavirus. A spokesperson for the health department said health desks will also be established at hospitals.

The desks at hospitals, named ‘front-line desks’, will provide up to date information about the spread of the virus in the city.

A hospital in Gadap will treat those affected with the coronavirus, the spokesperson added.

According to Geo News, the health department was also considering recommending a ban on public events in Karachi after nine new coronavirus cases were confirmed on Monday, taking the national tally to 16.

A recommendation to cancel events like the PSL will also be forwarded to the government, the health department spokesperson affirmed.